Sunday, June 19, 2011

Dads

I went out for my run last night and on the radio they were having people call in to tell stories about their dads. I started thinking about what I would say if I called and only had time to say one thing about my dad. If you know my dad, you know that 30 seconds would never be enough to do him justice.  I never did decide exactly what I would say about him but my mind started wandering and I made a huge realization about my dad. 

Those of you who know us well and have been around us in the last few months have probably noticed that something has changed around here.  Our families have noticed and Nick's co workers have noticed.  Nick and I have definitely seen it in each other and I can only hope that Mason and Drake are reaping the benefit of it as well.  So Im sure you're asking, what the heck happened? And what did I realize about my dad?

I know that ever since the moment my father found out he was having a little baby girl that he has prayed for me and my future spouse. That I might find someone who had a heart after God and sought God in every decision for my family.  If you would have asked either Nick or myself 5 years ago from right now if we thought we were right for each other we probably both would have answered no. And I was about 4 months pregnant with our son at that point.   Something HAD to change. 

When I sit here and think about where I was exactly 5 years ago from today and where I am now, I realize that it is nothing short of a miracle.  Did I ever think that my husband, Nick, would be leading prayer in a room full of people in a neighborhood Bible Study and on top of that, VOLUNTEERED HIMSELF?!?!  Never in a million years, but guess what? He does. So here's what I realized about my dad. He started praying for me and my spouse before Nick was ever even a thought in my mind. Before Nick was even born (I am 19 days older than him) ha! And then I got married, and he didn't stop praying! Thank you Jesus and thank you Dad!!

In church today they were talking about our earthly father as an example of our Heavenly Father.  How our earthly father should show grace, love, pride, and guidance.  My heart breaks for those who do not have that example of love in their fathers. I know I am blessed to have a father who has shown more grace than he should have had to.  Thank you dad, for showing me that grace, and for continuing to pray for me and my spouse, and my kids, that we might one day be the people that you have prayed for us to be.

I went and heard a local missionary talk the other night. He spent 15 years living in Brazil serving as a missionary.  He is now 80 years old and writing a book about his experiences there. After every story he would tell about the horrific circumstances he endured and how God delivered him from them he would end his story by saying "And I went on my way rejoicing." I thought to myself, what a neat way to end any story...or blog :) So, Happy Fathers Day to all the fathers out there, especially my hubs, Nick, and my sweet daddy!
                                                    The Schmidts......And I went on my way rejoicing!

1 comment:

  1. I am in tears! I love this. Your dad is such a great man! Both you & nick have a light that is shining brightly & it warms my heart to see it! I am so thankful we met you back in good ole Arkansas through friends, that we are in the same organization, & that we were roommates in Cali a few years ago, & now great friends! We love all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete



Designed By:

Munchkin Land Designs Elements by Bella Gypsy Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved